Meaning of modification
Pronunciation: (mod"u-fi-kā'shun), [key]
- an act or instance of modifying.
- the state of being modified; partial alteration.
- a modified form; variety.
- a change in a living organism acquired from its own activity or environment and not transmitted to its descendants.
- limitation or qualification.
- Limitation is one kind of modification.
- the use of a modifier in a construction, or of modifiers in a class of constructions or in a language.
- the meaning of a modifier, esp. as it affects the meaning of the word or other form modified:Limitation is one kind of modification.
- a change in the phonological shape of a morpheme, word, or other form when it functions as an element in a construction, as the change of not to -n't in doesn't.
- an adjustment in the form of a word as it passes from one language to another.
- modification (Thesaurus)