Meaning of Miranda
Pronunciation: (mi-ran'du also for 1, 4, Sp. mē-rän'dä), [key]
- 1750–1816, Venezuelan revolutionist and patriot.
- a moon of the planet Uranus.
- daughter of Prospero in Shakespeare's The Tempest.
- a female given name: from a Latin word meaning “to be admired.”
- of, pertaining to, or being upheld by the Supreme Court ruling (Miranda v. Arizona, 1966) requiring law-enforcement officers to warn a person who has been taken into custody of his or her rights to remain silent and to have legal counsel.