Meaning of minimum
Pronunciation: (min'u-mum), [key]
— n., pl. adj. -mums, -ma
- the least quantity or amount possible, assignable, allowable, or the like.
- the lowest speed permitted on a highway.
- the lowest amount, value, or degree attained or recorded.
- an arbitrary amount set by a restaurant, nightclub, etc., as the least amount to be charged each person for food and drink. Cf.
- Also calledrelative minimum,local minimum.the value of a function at a certain point in its domain, which is less than or equal to the values at all other points in the immediate vicinity of the point. Cf.absolute minimum.
- the point in the domain at which a minimum occurs.
- noting or indicating a minimum.
- least possible: minimum risk.
- lowest: a minimum rate.
- pertaining to a minimum or minimums.
- minimum (Thesaurus)