Meaning of midshipman
Pronunciation: (mid'ship"mun, mid-ship'-) [key]
— pl. -men.
- a student, as at the U.S. Naval Academy, in training for commission as ensign in the Navy or second lieutenant in the Marine Corps. Cf.(def. 2).
- an officer of the rank held by young men immediately upon graduating from the government naval schools.
- (cap.) the title and rank of such a graduate.
- (formerly) one of a class of boys or young men who formed the group from which officers were chosen.
- any toadfish of the genus Porichthys, having many small luminous organs on the underside and producing a buzzing sound with its air bladder.
- midshipman (Thesaurus)