Meaning of mew
- the tiny, high-pitched sound a cat or kitten makes.
- the characteristic sound a gull makes.
- to make a mew or emit a similar sound.
- a small gull, Larus canus, of Eurasia and northwestern North America. Also called
- a cage for hawks, esp. while molting.
- a pen in which poultry is fattened.
- a place of retirement or concealment.
- (formerly) an area of stables built around a small street.
- a street having small apartments converted from such stables.
- to shut up in or as in a mew; confine; conceal (often fol. by up).
— v.t., v.i.
- to shed (feathers); to molt.
- mew (Thesaurus)