Meaning of maternity
Pronunciation: (mu-tûr'ni-tē), [key]
- the state of being a mother; motherhood.
- motherly quality; motherliness.
- a section of a hospital devoted to the care of women at childbirth and of their newborn infants.
- of, pertaining to, or for the period in which a woman is pregnant or has just given birth to a child.
- for mothers during and after childbirth or for the care of their newborn babies: a maternity hospital.
- for wear by pregnant women: maternity clothes.
- maternity (Thesaurus)