Meaning of mask
Pronunciation: (mask, mäsk), [key]
- a covering for all or part of the face, worn to conceal one's identity.
- a grotesque or humorous false face worn at a carnival, masquerade, etc.: Halloween masks.
- Also calleda device consisting typically of a transparent glass or plastic panel fitted into a flexible rubber gasket that fits snugly around the eyes, over the cheeks, and usually over the nose: used by skin divers.
- anything that disguises or conceals; disguise; pretense: His politeness is a mask for his fundamentally malicious personality.
- a likeness of a face, as one molded on the face in plaster. Cf.
- a covering of wire, gauze, etc., to protect the face, as from splinters, dust, or a pitched ball.
- any protective covering for the face or head.
- any protective covering, as paper, cardboard, plastic, or the like, used for masking an area of something, as of a photograph or window.
- the dark shading on the muzzle of certain dogs.
- a representation of a face or head, generally grotesque, used as an architectural ornament or as a decorative device in weaponry, furniture, etc.
- a person wearing a mask; masker.
- masque (defs. 1–3).
- a cosmetic cream, gel, paste, or the like, that is applied to the face and allowed to remain for a short time before being removed and is used for tightening, cleansing, refreshing, or lubricating the skin.
- a piece of cloth, silk, or plastic material covering the face of an actor to symbolize the character being represented: used in Greek and Roman drama and in some modern plays.
- the face or head, as of a fox.
- a type of stencil applied to the surface of a semiconductor to permit selective etching or deposition: used in the manufacture of integrated circuits by photolithography.
- a screen, as of earth or brush, for concealing or protecting a battery or any military operation.
- Also calleda sliding timber construction braced against the stern of a hull being launched to keep it from entering the water too rapidly.
- to disguise or conceal; hide; dissemble: to mask one's intentions.
- to cover or conceal with a mask.
- to cover or shield a part of (a design, picture, etc.) in order to prevent reproduction or to protect the surface from the colors used, as in working with an air brush or in painting.
- to conceal (a battery or any military operation) from the enemy.
- to hinder, as an army, from conducting an operation.
- to put on a mask; disguise oneself.
- mask (Thesaurus)