Meaning of majority
Pronunciation: (mu-jôr'i-tē, -jor'-), [key]
— pl. -ties.
- the greater part or number; the number larger than half the total (opposed to minority): the majority of the population.
- a number of voters or votes, jurors, or others in agreement, constituting more than half of the total number.
- the amount by which the greater number, as of votes, surpasses the remainder (distinguished from plurality).
- the party or faction with the majority vote: The Democratic party is the majority.
- the state or time of being of full legal age: to attain one's majority.
- the military rank or office of a major.
- orto die.
- majority (Thesaurus)