Meaning of mainstream
Pronunciation: (mān'strēm"), [key]
- the principal or dominant course, tendency, or trend: the mainstream of American culture.
- a river having tributaries.
- belonging to or characteristic of a principal, dominant, or widely accepted group, movement, style, etc.: mainstream Republicans; a mainstream artist.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of jazz falling historically between Dixieland and modern jazz; specifically, swing music. Cf.(def. 4).
- to send into the mainstream; cause to join the main force, group, etc.: to mainstream young people into the labor force.
- to place (handicapped students) in regular school classes.
- to join or be placed in the mainstream.
- mainstream (Thesaurus)