lure: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (loor), [key]
— n., v., lured, lur•ing.
- anything that attracts, entices, or allures.
- the power of attracting or enticing.
- a decoy; live or esp. artificial bait used in fishing or trapping.
- a feathered decoy for attracting a hawk, swung at the end of a long line and sometimes baited with raw meat.
- a flap or tassel dangling from the dorsal fin of pediculate fishes, as the angler, that attracts prey to the mouth region.
- noting a pair of wings joined with the tips downward (opposed to a vol).
- to attract, entice, or tempt; allure.
- to draw or recall (esp. a falcon), as by a lure or decoy.
- lure (Thesaurus)