Meaning of lotus
Pronunciation: (lō'tus), [key]
— pl. -tus•es.
- a plant believed to be a jujube or elm, referred to in Greek legend as yielding a fruit that induced a state of dreamy and contented forgetfulness in those who ate it.
- the fruit itself.
- any aquatic plant of the genus Nelumbo, of the water lily family, having shieldlike leaves and showy, solitary flowers usually projecting above the water.
- any of several water lilies of the genus Nymphaea.
- a decorative motif derived from such a plant and used widely in ancient art, as on the capitals of Egyptian columns.
- any shrubby plant of the genus Lotus, of the legume family, having red, pink, yellow, or white flowers.
- lotus (Thesaurus)