levee: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (lev'ē), [key]
— n., v., lev•eed, lev•ee•ing.
- an embankment designed to prevent the flooding of a river.
- one of the small continuous ridges surrounding fields that are to be irrigated.
- a landing place for ships; quay.
- to furnish with a levee: to levee a treacherous stream.
Pronunciation: (lev'ē, le-vē'), [key]
- (in Great Britain) a public court assembly, held in the early afternoon, at which men only are received.
- a reception, usually in someone's honor: a presidential levee at the White House.
- a reception of visitors held on rising from bed, as formerly by a royal or other personage.
- levee (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.