Meaning of left-handed
Pronunciation: (left'han'did), [key]
- having the left hand more dominant or effective than the right; preferably using the left hand: a left-handed pitcher.
- adapted to or performed by the left hand: a left-handed tool; a left-handed tennis serve.
- situated on the side of the left hand.
- rotating counterclockwise.
- noting a helical or spiral member, as a gear tooth or screw thread, that twists counterclockwise as it recedes from an observer.
- left-hand (def. 3).
- ambiguous or doubtful and often unfavorable or derogatory by implication: a left-handed compliment.
- clumsy or awkward.
- of, pertaining to, or issuing from a morganatic marriage: so called from the custom, in morganatic marriage ceremonies, of having the bridegroom give his left hand to the bride.
- with the left hand: He writes left-handed.
- toward the left hand; in a counterclockwise direction: The strands of the rope are laid left-handed.
- left-handed (Thesaurus)