lanyard: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (lan'yurd), [key]
- a short rope or wire rove through deadeyes to hold and tauten standing rigging.
- any of various small cords or ropes for securing or suspending something, as a whistle about the neck or a knife from one's belt.
- a cord with a small hook at one end, used in firing certain kinds of cannon.
- a colored, single-strand cord worn around the left shoulder by a member of a military unit awarded a foreign decoration.
- a white cord worn around the right shoulder, as by a military police officer, and secured to the butt of a pistol.
- lanyard (Thesaurus)