Meaning of lantern
Pronunciation: (lan'turn), [key]
- a transparent or translucent, usually portable, case for enclosing a light and protecting it from the wind, rain, etc.
- the chamber at the top of a lighthouse, surrounding the light.
- a tall, more or less open construction admitting light to an enclosed area below.
- any light, decorative structure of relatively small size crowning a roof, dome, etc.
- an open-sided structure on a roof to let out smoke or to assist ventilation.
- a light, usually over the entrance to an elevator on each floor of a multistory building, that signals the approach of the elevator.
- lantern (Thesaurus)