ladder: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (lad'ur), [key]
- a structure of wood, metal, or rope, commonly consisting of two sidepieces between which a series of bars or rungs are set at suitable distances, forming a means of climbing up or down.
- something resembling this.
- a means of rising, as to eminence: the ladder of success.
- a graded series of stages or levels in status; a hierarchical order of position or rank: high on the political ladder.
- companionway (def. 1).
- a run in a stocking.
- to climb or mount by means of a ladder: to ladder a wall.
- to furnish with a ladder: to ladder a water tower.
- to cause a run in (a stocking).
- to get a run, as in a stocking.
- to gain in popularity or importance: He laddered to the top of his profession.
- ladder (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.