Meaning of know-nothing
Pronunciation: (nō'nuth"ing), [key]
- an ignorant or totally uninformed person; ignoramus.
- an agnostic.
- (caps.)a member of a political partyprominent from 1853 to 1856, whose aim was to keep control of the government in the hands of native-born citizens: so called because members originally professed ignorance of the party's activities.
- a person whose anti-intellectualism, xenophobia, and other political attitudes recall the Know-Nothings.
- grossly ignorant; totally uninformed.
- (caps.) of or pertaining to the Know-Nothings.
- of or pertaining to a political know-nothing.
- know-nothing (Thesaurus)