Meaning of jubilee
Pronunciation: ( j'bu-lē", j"bu-lē'), [key]
- the celebration of any of certain anniversaries, as the twenty-fifthfiftiethor sixtieth or seventy-fifth
- the completion of 50 years of existence, activity, or the like, or its celebration: Our college will celebrate its jubilee next year.
- any season or occasion of rejoicing or festivity.
- rejoicing or jubilation.
- an appointed year or other period, ordinarily every 25 years(ordinary jubilee),in which a plenary indulgence is granted upon repentance and the performance of certain religious acts.
- a period of time(extraordinary jubilee)declared by the pope as a time of rejoicing, as for an anniversary, when a plenary indulgence is granted upon repentance and the performance of certain religious acts.
- Also calledju&prim;bilee indul&prim;gence.the plenary indulgence granted during such a period.
- a yearlong period to be observed by Jews once every 50 years, during which Jewish slaves were to be freed, alienated lands were to be restored to the original owner or an heir, the fields were to be left untilled, and all agricultural labors were to be suspended. Lev. 25. Cf. sabbatical year (def. 2).
- a black American folk song concerned with future happiness or deliverance from tribulation.
- flambé (def. 1): cherries jubilee for dessert.
- jubilee (Thesaurus)