Meaning of jest
Pronunciation: ( jest), [key]
- a joke or witty remark; witticism.
- a bantering remark; a piece of good-natured ridicule; taunt.
- sport or fun: to speak half in jest, half in earnest.
- the object of laughter, sport, or mockery; laughing-stock.
- an exploit. Cf. gest.
- to speak in a playful, humorous, or facetious way; joke.
- to speak or act in mere sport, rather than in earnest; trifle (often fol. by with): Please don't jest with me.
- to utter derisive speeches; gibe or scoff.
- to deride or joke at; banter.
- jest (Thesaurus)