Meaning of jacket
Pronunciation: ( jak'it), [key]
- a short coat, in any of various forms, usually opening down the front.
- something designed to be placed around the upper part of the body for a specific purpose other than use as clothing: a life jacket.
- a protective outer covering.
- the skin of a potato, esp. when it has been cooked.
- the cover of a paperbound book, usually bearing an illustration.
- a paper or cardboard envelope for protecting a phonograph record.
- a metal casing, as the steel covering of a cannon, the steel cover around the core of a bullet, or the water jacket on certain types of machine guns.
- a folded paper or open envelope containing an official document.
- to put a jacket on (someone or something).
- jacket (Thesaurus)