isolate: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (v.ī'su-lāt", is'u-n., adj.ī'su-lit, -lāt", is'u-), [key]
— v., n., adj. -lat•ed, -lat•ing,
- to set or place apart; detach or separate so as to be alone.
- to keep (an infected person) from contact with noninfected persons; quarantine.
- to obtain (a substance or microorganism) in an uncombined or pure state.
- to insulate.
- to single out (a person, action, etc.) for a camera closeup.
- a person, thing, or group that is set apart or isolated, as for purposes of study.
- a person, often shy or lacking in social skills, who avoids the company of others and has no friends within a group.
- an inbreeding population that is isolated from similar populations by physiological, behavioral, or geographic barriers.
- a language with no demonstrable genetic relationship, as Basque.
- something that has been isolated, as a by-product in a manufacturing process: an isolate of soy flour.
- isolated; alone.
- isolate (Thesaurus)