island: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ī'lund), [key]
- a tract of land completely surrounded by water, and not large enough to be called a continent.
- something resembling an island, esp. in being isolated or having little or no direct communication with others.
- a raised platform with a counter or other work surface on top situated in the middle area of a room, esp. a kitchen, so as to permit access from all sides.
- a low concrete platform for gasoline pumps at an automotive service station.
- a clump of woodland in a prairie.
- an isolated hill.
- an isolated portion of tissue differing in structure from the surrounding tissue.
- a platform or building between sets of tracks.
- to make into an island.
- to dot with islands.
- to place on an island; isolate.
- island (Thesaurus)