inversion: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (in-vûr'zhun, -shun), [key]
- an act or instance of inverting.
- the state of being inverted.
- anything that is inverted.
- reversal of the usual or natural order of words; anastrophe.
- any change from a basic word order or syntactic sequence, as in the placement of a subject after an auxiliary verb in a question or after the verb in an exclamation, as “When will you go?” and “How beautiful is the rose!”
- the turning inward of a part, as the foot.
- a hydrolysis of certain carbohydrates, as cane sugar, that results in a reversal of direction of the rotatory power of the carbohydrate solution, the plane of polarized light being bent from right to left or vice versa.
- a reaction in which a starting material of one optical configuration forms a product of the opposite configuration.
- the process or result of transposing the tones of an interval or chord so that the original bass becomes an upper voice.
- (in counterpoint) the transposition of the upper voice part below the lower, and vice versa.
- presentation of a melody in contrary motion to its original form.
- assumption of the sexual role of the opposite sex; homosexuality.
- a type of chromosomal aberration in which the position of a segment of the chromosome is changed in such a way that the linear order of the genes is reversed. Cf. chromosomal aberration.
- retroflexion (def. 3).
- Also calleda reversal in the normal temperature lapse rate, the temperature rising with increased elevation instead of falling.
- a converting of direct current into alternating current.
- the operation of forming the inverse of a point, curve, function, etc.
- pertaining to or associated with inversion therapy or the apparatus used in it: inversion boots.
- inversion (Thesaurus)