Meaning of insult
Pronunciation: (v.in-sult'n.in'sult), [key]
- to treat or speak to insolently or with contemptuous rudeness; affront.
- to affect as an affront; offend or demean.
- to attack; assault.
- to behave with insolent triumph; exult contemptuously (usually fol. by on, upon, or over).
- an insolent or contemptuously rude action or remark; affront.
- something having the effect of an affront: That book is an insult to one's intelligence.
- an injury or trauma.
- an agent that inflicts this.
- an attack or assault.
- insult (Thesaurus)