Meaning of insist
Pronunciation: (in-sist'), [key]
- to be emphatic, firm, or resolute on some matter of desire, demand, intention, etc.: He insists on checking every shipment.
- to lay emphasis in assertion: to insist on the justice of a claim.
- to dwell with earnestness or emphasis (usually fol. by on or upon): to insist on a point in a discussion.
- to assert or maintain firmly: He insists that he saw the ghosts.
- to demand or persist in demanding: I insist that you see this thing through.
- insist (Thesaurus)