inquisition: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (in"kwu-zish'un, ing"-), [key]
- an official investigation, esp. one of a political or religious nature, characterized by lack of regard for individual rights, prejudice on the part of the examiners, and recklessly cruel punishments.
- any harsh, difficult, or prolonged questioning.
- the act of inquiring; inquiry; research.
- an investigation, or process of inquiry.
- a judicial or official inquiry.
- the finding of such an inquiry.
- the document embodying the result of such inquiry.
- a former special tribunal, engaged chiefly in combating and punishing heresy. Cf. Holy Office.
- SeeSpanish Inquisition.
- inquisition (Thesaurus)