Meaning of inlay
Pronunciation: (v.in'lā", in"lā'n.in'lā"), [key]
— v., n. -laid, -lay•ing,
- to decorate (an object) with layers of fine materials set in its surface: to inlay a chest with lighter wood.
- to insert or apply (layers of fine materials) in the surface of an object: to inlay marble in a tabletop.
- to place (a fitted scion) into a prepared stock, as in a method of grafting.
- inlaid work.
- a layer of fine material inserted in something else, esp. for ornament.
- a design or decoration made by inlaying.
- a filling of metal, porcelain, or the like, that is first shaped to fit a cavity and then cemented into it.
- the act or process of inlaying.
- inlay (Thesaurus)