inhibition: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (in"i-bish'un, in"hi-), [key]
- the act of inhibiting.
- the state of being inhibited.
- something that inhibits; constraint.
- the blocking or holding back of one psychological process by another.
- inappropriate conscious or unconscious restraint or suppression of behavior, as sexual behavior, often due to guilt or fear produced by past punishment, or sometimes considered a dispositional trait.
- a restraining, arresting, or checking of the action of an organ or cell.
- the reduction of a reflex or other activity as the result of an antagonistic stimulation.
- a state created at synapses making them less excitable by other sources of stimulation.
- a stoppage or decrease in the rate of action of a chemical reaction.
- an order, esp. from a bishop, suspending a priest or an incumbent from the performance of duties.
- inhibition (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.