Meaning of inferior
Pronunciation: (in-fēr'ē-ur), [key]
- lower in station, rank, degree, or grade (often fol. by to): a rank inferior to colonel.
- lower in place or position; closer to the bottom or base: descending into the inferior regions of the earth.
- of comparatively low grade; poor in quality; substandard: an inferior product.
- less important, valuable, or worthy: B+ bonds are inferior to AAA bonds.
- acting or performing in a way that is comparatively poor or mediocre: an inferior observer of human nature.
- situated below some other organ.
- (of a calyx) inserted below the ovary.
- (of an ovary) having a superior calyx.
- (of an organ or part)
- lower in place or position; situated beneath another.
- toward the feet. Cf. superior (def. 9).
- lying below the horizon: the inferior part of a meridian.
- written or printed low on a line of text, as the “2” in HO; subscript. Cf. superior (def. 10).
- a person inferior to another or others, as in rank or merit.
- Also calleda letter, number, or symbol written or printed low on a line of text. Cf. superior (def. 12).
- inferior (Thesaurus)