incubate: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (in'kyu-bāt", ing'-), [key]
— v., -bat•ed, -bat•ing.
- to sit upon (eggs) for the purpose of hatching.
- to hatch (eggs), as by sitting upon them or by artificial heat.
- to maintain at a favorable temperature and in other conditions promoting development, as cultures of bacteria or prematurely born infants.
- to develop or produce as if by hatching; give form to: His brain was incubating schemes for raising money.
- to sit upon eggs.
- to undergo incubation.
- to develop; grow; take form: A plan was slowly incubating in her mind.
- incubate (Thesaurus)