impulse: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (im'puls), [key]
- the influence of a particular feeling, mental state, etc.: to act under a generous impulse; to strike out at someone from an angry impulse.
- sudden, involuntary inclination prompting to action: to be swayed by impulse.
- an instance of this.
- a psychic drive or instinctual urge.
- an impelling action or force, driving onward or inducing motion.
- the effect of an impelling force; motion induced; impetus given.
- a progressive wave of excitation over a nerve or muscle fiber, having either a stimulating or inhibitory effect.
- the product of the average force acting upon a body and the time during which it acts, equivalent to the change in the momentum of the body produced by such a force.
- a single, usually sudden, flow of current in one direction.
- marked by or acting on impulse: an impulse buyer.
- bought or acquired on impulse: To reduce expenses, shun impulse items when shopping.
- impulse (Thesaurus)