Meaning of imperative
Pronunciation: (im-per'u-tiv), [key]
- absolutely necessary or required; unavoidable: It is imperative that we leave.
- of the nature of or expressing a command; commanding.
- noting or pertaining to the mood of the verb used in commands, requests, etc., as in Listen! Go! Cf. indicative (def. 2),(def. 1).
- a command.
- something that demands attention or action; an unavoidable obligation or requirement; necessity: It is an imperative that we help defend friendly nations.
- the imperative mood.
- a verb in this mood.
- an obligatory statement, principle, or the like.
- imperative (Thesaurus)