Meaning of imitation
Pronunciation: (im"i-tā'shun), [key]
- a result or product of imitating.
- the act of imitating.
- a counterfeit; copy.
- a literary composition that imitates the manner or subject of another author or work.
- the performance of an act whose stimulus is the observation of the act performed by another person.
- the copying of patterns of activity and thought of other groups or individuals.
- (in Aristotelian aesthetics) the representation of an object or an action as it ought to be.
- the representation of actuality in art or literature.
- the repetition of a melodic phrase at a different pitch or key from the original or in a different voice part.
- designed to imitate a genuine or superior article or thing: imitation leather.
- noting an artificial gem no part of which is of the true gemstone. Cf. assembled, synthetic (def. 5).
- imitation (Thesaurus)