Meaning of identification
Pronunciation: (ī-den"tu-fi-kā'shun, i-den"-), [key]
- an act or instance of identifying; the state of being identified.
- something that identifies a person, animal, or thing: He carries identification with him at all times.
- acceptance as one's own of the values and interests of a social group.
- a process by which one ascribes to oneself the qualities or characteristics of another person.
- (in psychoanalytic theory) the transference or reaction to one person with the feelings or responses relevant to another, as the identification of a teacher with a parent.
- perception of another as an extension of oneself.
- identification (Thesaurus)