Meaning of idea
Pronunciation: (ī-dē'u, ī-dē'), [key]
- any conception existing in the mind as a result of mental understanding, awareness, or activity.
- a thought, conception, or notion: That is an excellent idea.
- an impression: He gave me a general idea of how he plans to run the department.
- an opinion, view, or belief: His ideas on raising children are certainly strange.
- a plan of action; an intention: the idea of becoming an engineer.
- a groundless supposition; fantasy.
- a concept developed by the mind.
- a conception of what is desirable or ought to be; ideal.
- (cap.)Platonism.Also calledform.an archetype or pattern of which the individual objects in any natural class are imperfect copies and from which they derive their being.
- Kantianism.Seeidea of pure reason.
- a theme, phrase, or figure.
- a likeness.
- a mental image.
- idea (Thesaurus)