Meaning of hypostasis
Pronunciation: (hī-pos'tu-sis, hi-), [key]
— pl. -ses
- something that stands under and supports; foundation.
- the underlying or essential part of anything as distinguished from attributes; substance, essence, or essential principle.
- one of the three real and distinct substances in the one undivided substance or essence of God.
- a person of the Trinity.
- the one personality of Christ in which His two natures, human and divine, are united.
- the accumulation of blood or its solid components in parts of an organ or body due to poor circulation.
- such sedimentation, as in a test tube.
- hypostasis (Thesaurus)