Meaning of honky-tonk
Pronunciation: (hong'kē-tongk", hông'kē-tôngk"), [key]
- a cheap, noisy, and garish nightclub or dance hall.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a honky-tonk: a honky-tonk atmosphere.
- characterized by or having a large number of honky-tonks: the honky-tonk part of town.
- noting a style of ragtime piano-playing characterized by a strict two-four or four-four bass, either contrapuntal or chordal, and a melody embellished with chords and syncopated rhythms, typically performed on a piano whose strings have been muffled and given a tinny sound.
- to visit or frequent honky-tonks.
- honkytonk (Thesaurus)