holy: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (hō'lē), [key]
— adj., n., pl. -li•er, -li•est, -lies.
- specially recognized as or declared sacred by religious use or authority; consecrated: holy ground.
- dedicated or devoted to the service of God, the church, or religion: a holy man.
- saintly; godly; pious; devout: a holy life.
- having a spiritually pure quality: a holy love.
- entitled to worship or veneration as or as if sacred: a holy relic.
- religious: holy rites.
- inspiring fear, awe, or grave distress: The director, when angry, is a holy terror.
- a place of worship; sacred place; sanctuary.
- holy (Thesaurus)