hoist: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (hoist or, sometimes, hīst), [key]
- to raise or lift, esp. by some mechanical appliance: to hoist a flag; to hoist the mainsail.
- to raise to one's lips and drink; drink (esp. beer or whiskey) with gusto: Let's go hoist a few beers.
- a pt. and pp. of
- See(def. 4).
- an apparatus for hoisting, as a block and tackle, a derrick, or a crane.
- act of hoisting; a lift: Give that sofa a hoist at your end.
- the vertical dimension amidships of any square sail that is hoisted with a yard. Cf. drop (def. 28).
- the distance between the hoisted and the lowered position of such a yard.
- the dimension of a fore-and-aft sail along the luff.
- a number of flags raised together as a signal.
- (on a flag)
- the vertical dimension as flown from a vertical staff.
- the edge running next to the staff. Cf. fly (def. 36b).
- hoist (Thesaurus)