hobble: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (hob'ul), [key]
— v., n. -bled, -bling,
- to walk lamely; limp.
- to proceed irregularly and haltingly: His verses hobble with their faulty meters.
- to cause to limp: His tight shoes hobbled him.
- to fasten together the legs of (a horse, mule, etc.) by short lengths of rope to prevent free motion.
- to impede; hamper the progress of.
- an act of hobbling; an uneven, halting gait; a limp.
- a rope, strap, etc., used to hobble an animal.
- a leg harness for controlling the gait of a pacer.
- an awkward or difficult situation.
- hobble (Thesaurus)