Meaning of hieratic
Pronunciation: (hī"u-rat'ik, hī-rat'-), [key]
- of or pertaining to priests or the priesthood; sacerdotal; priestly.
- noting or pertaining to a form of ancient Egyptian writing consisting of abridged forms of hieroglyphics, used by the priests in their records.
- noting or pertaining to certain styles in art in which the representations or methods are fixed by or as if by religious tradition.
- highly restrained or severe in emotional import: Some of the more hieratic sculptures leave the viewer curiously unmoved.
- ancient Egyptian hieratic writing.
- hieratic (Thesaurus)