Meaning of heroic
Pronunciation: (hi-rō'ik), [key]
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a hero or heroine.
- suitable to the character of a hero in size or concept; daring; noble: a heroic ambition.
- having or displaying the character or attributes of a hero; extraordinarily bold, altruistic, determined, etc.: a heroic explorer.
- having or involving recourse to boldness, daring, or extreme measures: Heroic measures were taken to save his life.
- dealing with or describing the deeds, attributes, etc., of heroes, as in literature.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the heroes of antiquity: heroic mythology.
- used in heroic poetry. Cf. heroic verse.
- resembling heroic poetry in language or style; grandiloquent.
- (of style or language) lofty; extravagant; grand.
- larger than life-size: a statue of heroic proportions.
- flamboyant or extravagant language, sentiment, or behavior, intended to seem heroic.
- heroic action or behavior.
- heroic (Thesaurus)