hello: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (he-lō', hu-, hel'ō), [key]
— interj., n., pl. v., -los, -loed, -lo•ing.
- (used to express a greeting, answer a telephone, or attract attention.)
- (an exclamation of surprise, wonder, elation, etc.)
- the call “hello” (used as an expression of greeting): She gave me a warm hello.
- to say “hello”; to cry or shout: I helloed, but no one answered.
- to say “hello” to (someone): We helloed each other as though nothing had happened.
- hello (Thesaurus)