Meaning of heavyweight
Pronunciation: (hev'ē-wāt"), [key]
- heavy in weight.
- of more than average weight or thickness: a coat of heavyweight material.
- noting or pertaining to a boxer, wrestler, etc., of the heaviest competitive class, esp. a professional boxer weighing more than 175 lb. (79.4 kg).
- of or pertaining to the weight class or division of such boxers: a heavyweight bout.
- (of a riding horse, esp. a hunter) able to carry up to 205 lb. (93 kg).
- designating a person, company, nation, or other entity that is extremely powerful, influential, or important: a team of heavyweight lawyers.
- a person of more than average weight.
- a heavyweight boxer or wrestler.
- a person, company, nation, or other entity that is powerful and influential: a price hike initiated by the heavyweights in the industry.
- heavyweight (Thesaurus)