Meaning of heaven
Pronunciation: (hev'un), [key]
- the abode of God, the angels, and the spirits of the righteous after death; the place or state of existence of the blessed after the mortal life.
- (cap.) Often,the celestial powers; God.
- a metonym for God (used in expressions of emphasis, surprise, etc.): For heaven's sake!
- Heavens, what a cold room!
- (used interjectionally to express emphasis, surprise, etc.):Heavens, what a cold room!
- (used with a sing. v.) a wooden roof or canopy over the outer stage of an Elizabethan theater.
- Usually,the sky, firmament, or expanse of space surrounding the earth.
- a place or state of supreme happiness: She made his life a heaven on earth.
- to do one's utmost to effect an end; make a supreme effort: She promised to move heaven and earth to be there for our wedding anniversary.
- heaven (Thesaurus)