Meaning of haw
- to utter a sound representing a hesitation or pause in speech.
- a sound or pause of hesitation. Cf. hem (def. 3).
- (used as a word of command to a horse or other draft animal, usually directing it to turn to the left.)
- to turn or make a turn to the left:Cf. gee. The horse refused to haw.
- the fruit of the Old World hawthorn, Crataegus laevigata, or of other species of the same genus.
- the hawthorn.
- the thin, protective membrane at the inner corner of the lower eyelid of a horse, dog, etc.; nictitating membrane.
- haw (Thesaurus)