hatchet: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (hach'it), [key]
- a small, short-handled ax having the end of the head opposite the blade in the form of a hammer, made to be used with one hand. See illus. under
- a tomahawk.
- to become reconciled or reunited; make peace.
- to begin or resume hostilities; prepare for or go to war: The natives are taking up the hatchet against the enemy.
- to cut, destroy, kill, etc., with a hatchet.
- to abridge, delete, excise, etc.: The network censor may hatchet 30 minutes from the script.
- hatchet (Thesaurus)