Meaning of hardware
Pronunciation: (härd'wâr"), [key]
- metalware, as tools, locks, hinges, or cutlery.
- the mechanical equipment necessary for conducting an activity, usually distinguished from the theory and design that make the activity possible.
- military weapons and combat equipment.
- a weapon carried on one's person: The rougher types were asked to check their hardware at the door.
- the mechanical, magnetic, electronic, and electrical devices comprising a computer system, as the CPU, disk drives, keyboard, or screen. Cf. software.
- hardware (Thesaurus)