Meaning of half tone
— Music. Music.
Pronunciation: (haf'tōn", häf'-), [key]
- Also called(in painting, drawing, graphics, photography, etc.) a value intermediate between light and dark.
- a process in which gradation of tone in an image is conveyed by first photographing the image through a screen to break up the continuous tones of the image into minute, closely spaced dots, then using the print obtained to produce a metal plate by photoengraving, and finally using the plate to reproduce the original image by letterpress or offset printing.
- the metal plate used in such a process.
- the print obtained in such a process. Cf. line cut.
- pertaining to, using, used in, or produced by the halftone process: a halftone screen; a halftone print.
- halftone (Thesaurus)