half: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (haf, häf), [key]
— n., pl. adj., adv. halves
- one of two equal or approximately equal parts of a divisible whole, as an object, or unit of measure or time; a part of a whole equal or almost equal to the remainder.
- a quantity or amount equal to such a part ().
- either of two equal periods of play, usually with an intermission or rest period separating them. Cf. quarter (def. 10).
- one of two; a part of a pair.
- Four dimes and two nickels make a half.
- Seehalf dollar.
- the sum of 50 cents:Four dimes and two nickels make a half.
- either of the two units of play into which an inning is divided, the visiting team batting in the first unit and the home team batting in the second.
- a halfback.
- He ordered a half of ale.
- a half-crown coin.
- the sum of a half crown; two shillings, sixpence.
- a half pint:He ordered a half of ale.
- a significant yet relatively minor part of something that remains to be described in full: He accused them of being responsible for the error, and that's not the half of the story.
- being one of two equal or approximately equal parts of a divisible whole: a half quart.
- being half or about half of anything in degree, amount, length, etc.: at half speed; half sleeve.
- partial or incomplete: half measures.
- in or to the extent or measure of half.
- in part; partly; incompletely: half understood.
- to some extent; almost: half recovered.
- by very much; by far: She was too talented by half for her routine role.
- as much as 50 percent more: This mug holds half again as much coffee as the smaller one.
- . in or into two parts; in half: Cut the cake half in two.
- divided into halves: The vase broke in half.
- His first attempts at painting are not half bad.
- not at all; not really:His first attempts at painting are not half bad.
- Seehalf(def. 9).
- half (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.